Thursday, January 29, 2009

A True Story From Just Now

Dear Friend,

I just had a great moment I'd love to share with you.

While walking back from my lunch of spicy tuna roll w/brown rice and herb salad, I saw crossing the street towards me, a Practice Member I hadn't seen in a few months.

Different than when I see a PM who I haven't seen for awhile, I winced a bit inside, actually hoping he would not see me.

He's a man in his mid-fifties, of middle-eastern descent, a good man referred to me back in March 2008. He wasn't all that sure about Chiropractic helping him with his low back, but he came in 5 or 6 times until he felt better.

Of course I tried to get him to continue to really correct his back, but only when it got bad again in late September did I see him for further care.

As you may recall, by this time, I was on FULL OBAMA, and as you also may recall, not at all shy about my support for him.

Well, my heart is always in the right place, but my mouth sometimes exuberantly isn't, and, a few adjustment in, something I said rubbed him the wrong way about what was going on.

Without going into details, he got up from the table and sort of scolded me ...telling me I didn't understand the entire terrorist picture, and that Obama was a dangerous choice because he was also ignorant of the facts of that region, and that his election would put our country in great harm.

I told him that I believed coming from FEAR would solve nothing, and that Obama was the EXACT person uniquely positioned to get the job done. We went back and forth, and suffice it to say, it didn't end well. No fisticuffs, but certainly far from a friendly vibe, which I wasn't happy with ...but I was not willing to compromise what I knew was RIGHT.

I was okay with him leaving (I knew he wouldn't be back), because I long ago made my peace with choosing my ideals over my bank account. That said, I never want to lose the opportunity to heal someone in need, and that bothered me ...because ...well ...he's a good guy and was getting better under my care.

So today, when I saw him walking towards me, I didn't know what to expect. Our eyes met, and both our hand extended simultaneously for a handshake. I smiled, and he smiled back.

I asked how he was, and he said, "Fine...you must be very happy." "I am ...for all of us," I replied, still not knowing what to expect.

"Well ...you should be," he replied, "because, he's doing an amazing job. I didn't end up voting for him, but I've listened, and watched how he's handling himself in all this, and I'm very impressed with him. He's really quite intelligent and composed ...and seems to be doing everything right. I think, actually ..that he may be the best person in the world for the job. You were right, and he has my full support."

He walked with me towards my office as we chatted a little more ...out of his way, because when we parted, he back-tracked to the corner.

I turned to go in the entrance and my body just deeply relaxed, my eyes welling up a bit. I must admit, sometimes even I wonder if I'm just a crackpot. I'm often IN this Dr LoUniverse, but curiously, not always OF it. I can't explain it more than that.

But...this felt really, really GOOD!!! I guess because I played full out from my heart, and stood up for what I believed was right, something could change in this other beings perception.

Now, that's HEALING!!! ...and it does NOT get any better than THAT!

May your day be filled with your singular passion.

Dr Lou

No comments: